Table of Contents Hide
- What is the Divi WordPress Theme all about?
- A Look at Divi
- Overview of the Divi Theme’s Best Features
- How to Create a Website Using Divi
- Is Divi SEO-friendly?
- Divi’s Advantages and Disadvantages
- Products from Elegant Themes are also available
- Pricing Options for Divi
- Conclusion of the Divi Theme Analysis
If you’re reading this Divi review, you’ve probably looked at a lot of WordPress themes in searching for the perfect theme for your website.
Before we delve into the details, it’s important to understand the basics of Divi Theme.
Divi, Elegant Themes’ flagship theme, is also one of the most widely used WordPress themes today. Since it’s a multipurpose theme, it’s suitable for any kind of website you may want to make with WordPress.
Divi has been revised and developed on a regular basis over the years. The theme now comes with a strong drag-and-drop page builder, hundreds of website models, endless customization options and settings, and a few other useful features. It’s also reasonably priced.
On paper, Divi looks great, but is it the right theme for your WordPress site? In this Divi analysis, we’ll help you answer that question.
What is the Divi WordPress Theme all about?
Divi was created by the Elegant Themes team and is their flagship product. Divi was first released in 2013, but it has since been modified, refined, and enhanced to remain a viable multipurpose WordPress theme alternative.
It’s what’s known as a super trend in the industry. To put it another way, it’s a lot like a regular WordPress theme, but better and a lot bigger.
Divi can be used for a variety of purposes and can be adapted to any kind of website. In other words, Divi promises to be able to manage any sort of site you choose to build (as well as any design).
Divi is also built with the novice in mind. Everything from setup to the gui, as well as how to handle updates, later on, has been designed in such a way that even a total novice can easily grasp it.
In a nutshell, this is how it works:
- Divi is a fully customizable WordPress theme that can be used right away. It doesn’t need any special installation steps beyond those required for any other WordPress theme.
- It is not necessary for you to have any WordPress coding or website-building experience. The majority of customizations are accessible via a simple user interface.
- The majority of your customization can be done on the front end. Instead of trying to guess what your changes would look like on the live platform, you will see a real-time preview as you work on your customizations.
- It allows you to create virtually any form of design or layout while keeping the same theme.
This is precisely what makes Divi so versatile.
There is also a Divi Builder plugin, which is available from the Elegant Themes team and is officially called Divi Builder. This plugin lets you use the Divi theme’s page builder on any WordPress platform, regardless of which theme you’re using. However, for the purposes of this Divi analysis, we’ll be looking at the WordPress theme rather than the plugin.
Hopefully, that answers some of your questions about the various Divi versions, so let’s see how good (or bad) this theme really is!
A Look at Divi
While this Divi review goes into great detail about the theme’s main features to help you determine if it’s right for you, here’s a fast rundown of some of the highlights to help you decide if this is the type of theme you’re looking for:
- A large collection of high-quality templates is available: Divi includes hundreds of editable templates for a variety of website formats.
- Content editor with heft: The Divi Builder tool is a powerful drag-and-drop content editor for WordPress that has a lot of features.
- Split testing content optimization tool: The Divi Leads function allows you to run A/B tests on your content to optimize it for the highest conversion rates possible.
- Additional themes and plugins: Additional themes and plugins are included with all Divi purchases, including the Extra theme and a few helpful WordPress plugins.
As you can see, Divi gives you access to a large and growing library of pre-built page templates, a powerful visual content editor, and a variety of other useful features to ensure that your content not only looks fantastic but also helps you achieve your business objectives.
Let’s take a look at those features, as well as others, to see what you get for your money if you buy Divi.
Overview of the Divi Theme’s Best Features
This is a feature-rich WordPress theme, so to keep it as simple as possible, here’s a rundown of the most relevant Divi features.
Pre-build Website Template
Divi’s template library and page builder tool are undoubtedly the two most notable features. The Divi Builder tool will be of particular interest to you if you want to create a custom WordPress website template from the ground up. Everyone else, however, would be influenced by the pre-designed content templates when deciding whether or not to use this theme for their website.
If you need any assistance with the design of your new website, you’ll be happy to know that Divi has the most high-quality page templates of any WordPress theme available today.
There are over 160 full site templates in every possible niche to choose from, including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and other food-service establishments
- Creative and other agencies come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
- Fashion and beauty go hand in hand.
- Construction, plumbing, and other service-oriented businesses
- Sports, exercise, and well-being are all important components of a healthy lifestyle.
- Corporations, SaaS firms, and other businesses
- Institutions of higher learning
- There are several different forms of eCommerce and online stores.
- And many more
There is a collection of templates for almost every form of project, so whatever website you want to create, check out the Divi layouts to see what’s available.
Although some themes have a library of individual models, Divi includes layout packs that are tailored to a particular type of website. These bundles usually include templates for the homepage, about, touch, and landing pages, giving you a fast way to get your new website up and running with all the content you’ll need.
However, you are not required to use just one layout kit. You can select and choose any design from any of the available layout packs to use on your website with Divi.
The templates are also all editable, so you can use them as a starting point for your own custom designs. Alternatively, you can leave them as-is and use the content editor to adjust the text and images as required.
Content Editor with Drag-and-Drop (Divi Builder)
When it comes to making adjustments to the models or starting from scratch with new content designs, the Divi Builder is where it’s at. This tool has been updated several times over the years and is now one of the most effective and impressive WordPress page builders available.
The Divi Builder has a number of main features, including:
- Create custom page templates with a WYSIWYG visual editor.
- The ability to make your own theme models.
- A good assortment of content modules.
- Ability to build reusable sections that can be reused around your website.
- Wireframe mode is useful for getting a quick overview of a page’s layout.
- Undo and redo activities can be undone and redone using the history screen.
- On smartphones, tablets, and desktops, a variety of viewports are available for previewing content.
- There’s a lot more…
Rows and columns are used in the Divi Builder to help you create page layouts. You can then use a variety of useful modules, such as call-to-action buttons, sliders, and video players, to name a few, to add to your templates. All of these modules can be modified to suit your website’s design and provide the right look for your project.
Custom Content That Can Be Used Again
Using the global modules feature, you can save everything you create in the Divi Builder and use it on your web. Any modules that you edit or modify fall under this category. You can monitor how reusable assets are modified when you create them, including creating dynamic assets that allow you to update all instances with a single click.
Divi is also very versatile, making it simple to transfer your templates and other properties from one WordPress platform to the next. Divi has some fantastic time-saving features that will help you make your workflow more effective if you choose to build several websites with it.
However, all of this new functionality, control, and creative freedom comes at a cost, and that cost is the relatively steep learning curve associated with mastering the new user interface. The Divi Builder user interface is somewhat different from the default WordPress one, despite the fact that it is not poorly implemented in any way. As a result, if you want to get the most out of the page builder, you’ll need to learn a new way of working.
This is to be anticipated, given that you now have access to so many new features. It’s worth noting, though, because you may not be able to do anything you want in the Divi Builder unless you spend some time getting to know the new gui.
Full creative freedom
The Divi Builder interface allows you to customize every aspect of your content, giving you complete control over the look of your posts and pages. However, following a recent update, the newly added Theme Builder tool now also gives you complete control over the rest of your website.
Builder for Divi Theme
You can make custom posts and blog designs with most WordPress themes that include page builders. They rarely, if ever, allow you to customize other aspects of your site, such as the header, footer, or theme templates.
That used to be the case with Divi, but thanks to a recent update, you’re no longer limited to the content areas. With the Theme Builder feature, you can now customize every aspect of your WordPress website.
Make Your Own Headers and Footers
Divi’s Theme Builder is a truly amazing feature. It not only allows you to create exclusive headers and footers for your website, but it also allows you to create custom templates for blog posts, portfolio pieces, eCommerce goods, 404 error pages, and more.
Create one-of-a-kind blog post and archive templates
The Divi Theme Builder can be used to customize the page on your website that shows your most recent blog posts thanks to template support.
You can select what content from each blog post is displayed, such as the title, featured image, author, date, and more, in addition to designing a custom layout. You can also create different templates for showing your blog posts and then decide when each one is used.
You can choose when each of your designs is used using the prototype settings. You may, for example, build a template that only applies to blog posts from a specific category or a layout that only applies to specific pages.
Options for Customization
Each feature used to create your pages has a variety of customization options that you can use to achieve the look you want. Take a look at the example below.
The following tabs are available as part of each website element’s customization options:
- Content – This part of the website is concerned with the actual content
- Design – Settings for things like spacing, sizes, boundaries, shadows, transitions, and animations, among other things
- Advanced – Responsiveness visibility, custom CSS classes or IDs, custom CSS, transformations, places, and scroll effects
Organizing and cleaning items up by dividing them into different tabs is a good idea. For example, you can choose whether or not to tune the responsiveness function of the current element in the Advanced tab, or whether or not to add custom styling.
However, since these are Advanced options, they are usually kept hidden. This is very simple and pleasant to use. There’s no clutter, and there aren’t any long lists of choices.
Just the right amount of information in the right places at the right time.
RTL and Languages
The Divi theme supports a wide range of languages. Elegant Themes has long recognized the importance of this function in any product, and the Divi theme is completely translatable into 32 languages!
This involves RTL languages, as the theme will automatically move to RTL mode thanks to Right To Left Support.
Theme Options for Divi
Divi also has its own theme options panel in the backend. More functional/integration/global settings can be controlled in this environment. It allows you to easily add code snippets to the theme (for example, the Google Analytics tracking code).
First and foremost, there is security
Despite the fact that WordPress is safe enough to not have many security issues, we are aware of more than a few vulnerabilities in recent years. Divi, like every other program, has flaws.
The best part is that the Elegant Themes’ team responds quickly to security problems by issuing timely patches to fix any flaws.
In general, Divi employs secure and healthy coding practices that effectively address any security issues. Sucuri, a WordPress security firm, has also protected and approved the theme as safe after a thorough code audit.
Leads Optimization Tool of Divi
Divi includes a split-testing platform to ensure that your custom content designs are not only beautiful but also designed to help you achieve your business goals. Despite the fact that this feature is uncommon among WordPress themes, it is extremely useful and surprisingly simple to use.
It just takes a few clicks with Divi Leads to set up a split test to see which version of your website gets the best response from your audience.
The Divi Builder has the features built-in. Simply select which page element you want to evaluate — for example, a button — and then allow Divi Leads for that element. Then you can make a second version of that part. The split testing tool will display one version to one section of your audience and the other version to another segment.
Each split testing experiment has a specific objective, such as getting people to click on a connection or go to a specific page. You’ll know which version of your page feature has the highest conversion rate until the test starts collecting data.
You’re not limited to contrasting two versions of a page feature with Divi Leads. This allows you to test several versions of your content in order to improve it. You can also run several A/B tests at once, allowing you to optimize your entire website for the best possible target conversion rates.
Although a dedicated service might add this form of feature to your WordPress website, it’s uncommon to see it incorporated into a theme like this.
If your website was designed with a specific target in mind, such as email opt-ins, product sales, contact form submissions, or even just more page views, the Divi Leads feature is a powerful and simple-to-use tool.
Assistance and Documentation
Elegant Themes’ customer service has previously been a source of criticism. Customers could post questions in private discussion forums and wait for an answer from the Elegant Themes support team. Customers have complained about slow response times and problems that aren’t always resolved.
Elegant Themes, in what appears to be an attempt to address this problem, no longer provides support through the discussion forums and instead uses a messenger service.
Support Channel for Messenger
Customers who are logged into the Elegant Themes website can use the messenger to open a support ticket and wait for an answer. This makes help a lot easier because you don’t have to search the thread to see if anyone has responded.
Furthermore, the response times were swift and the information was helpful when I tested their customer support for this Divi review.
Documentation in great detail
Elegant Themes, and Divi in particular, have a good online documentation section on their website. The online documentation explains every feature and aspect of Divi, and the Elegant Themes blog is full of tips and suggestions on how to use their items.
Meetups and Community Forums
The discussion forums are still available, allowing users a place to exchange ideas and engage with one another. While support from the Elegant Themes team is now distributed through the messaging system, the discussion forums are still available.
There are also a number of active Facebook groups dedicated to Elegant Themes and in particular, Divi, where users can share tips and best practices in order to learn from one another and get the most out of these items.
There are also in-person meetup groups that take place on a regular basis around the world if you want to get even more interested in the Elegant Themes and Divi culture.
How to Create a Website Using Divi
Now, let’s take a closer look at how Divi work:
As I described in the introduction, the Divi theme allows you to create your website in one of two ways:
- You can customize your header, footer, and template designs using the Divi Customizer, and then use the Divi Builder to customize the actual page content.
- You can use Divi Theme Builder’s visual editor to fully design your site. This includes things like your header and footer.
Option 1: Use Divi + Theme Options
This is the “original” way to use Divi to build a website. This is the quickest way to get started while still maintaining a high level of control.
Getting the Divi Theme Options to Work
To begin, set up your header, footer, blog layout, and so on using the Divi settings in the native WordPress Customizer.
You can also monitor other information from the backend Divi settings section.
Creating Content with the Divi Builder
You can use the Divi Builder to design your actual content once you have the basic “canvas” for your site (e.g., your header and footer). You may use it to build your homepage, an “about” page, a “contact” page, and so on:
You already have a lot of control over how you create a custom website using this tool. The second form, on the other hand, is an option if you want even more power.
Option 2: Make full use of Divi’s theme builder
Another choice for building a website is to use the latest Theme Builder for all. Since you can monitor every feature on your site using a visual, drag-and-drop gui, you gain more versatility. It also necessitates a little more effort because you must design each and every feature!
You can, however, mix and match if you like. You might, for example, use Theme Builder to customize your header while keeping the theme’s default footer from the WordPress Customizer.
You can do so by going to Divi Theme Builder. You’ll see an option to Add a Global Header/Body/Footer here. These are the default Divi templates for certain sections of your site:
The design for the content of a blog post or website is referred to as the “body.” To put it another way, all between your header and footer.
You can build more templates for unique types of content in addition to the global templates, giving you a lot more versatility.
You may, for example, use one global template for blog posts and a different template for “Review” posts that automatically overrides the global template. Some of the several options for targeting your templates are listed below:
This approach is unquestionably more difficult and time-consuming. It does, however, provide you with a lot more versatility. You can choose whether or not that trade-off is worthwhile for you, or whether you’d rather stick with the first approach (which is totally fine).
Is Divi SEO-friendly?
Divi was created as the flagship product of one of the most well-known WordPress theme developers. Although it may have had performance problems in the past, this is no longer the case, and Divi sites load quickly.
Of course, we always suggest using a good caching plugin like WP Rocket in conjunction with an SEO plugin like SEOPress or Yoast to help you improve your SEO rankings.
While most page builders depend heavily on shortcodes and can result in bloated code, this is rarely an issue for most people. In fact, bloat is usually caused by disorganized content creation and an overreliance on third-party plugins, and this will not be a problem for most people.
Divi’s Advantages and Disadvantages
Let’s talk about some of the Divi theme’s Advantages and Disadvantages now that we’ve been through many of the different aspects of the WordPress theme.
- A multipurpose WordPress theme that can be used with any kind of project – It is simple to produce an excellent result in any niche by using the site layouts, page templates, and vast array of website elements and modules
- Page builder with a lot of features – The Divi builder has matured into an excellent tool for increasing productivity; there is no need to use an additional page builder with the theme
- WooCommerce is fully supported. – WooCommerce is completely assisted, both in terms of site layouts and customization possibilities
- Capabilities of the theme builder – Through the theme building capabilities added to Divi 4.0, the theme’s customizations have been brought to the next level
- improvements and changes on a regular basis – Elegant Themes is still on the ball, releasing big changes and enhancements on a regular basis. They’re also one of the industry’s most powerful vendors.
- Support and documentation are excellent – Divi has a great community, and the vendor has a strong support structure in place, as well as extensive and supportive documentation.
- With lifetime updates, this is an excellent deal – This WordPress theme’s pricing is extremely reasonable, particularly considering that you get the theme, page creator, Extra theme, Bloom, and Monarch plugins, all of which can be used on an unlimited number of pages. Unlimited pages, updates, and assistance are all included with lifetime access
- A large feature set and a steep learning curve – For someone who has never used a similar concept before, the sheer number of features available can be daunting, and mastering them can take some time
- Embedded shortcodes – Because of the way the Divi builder works, most pages will have shortcodes embedded in them, making it more difficult to abandon the theme once you’ve started using it, particularly for custom-built pages
Products from Elegant Themes are also available
When you buy Divi, you get access to not only this theme but also all of the Elegant Themes’ other items. Elegant Themes membership also contains the following features at the time of writing this review:
- Extra – is a WordPress style for magazines and blogs on the internet.
- Bloom – is a plugin that allows you to create an email opt-in form to help you expand your subscription list.
- Monarch – is a social networking plugin that will help you gain more likes and followers on social media.
- Divi Builder – is a plugin that allows you to use Divi’s page builder feature on WordPress pages that aren’t using Divi.
Pricing Options for Divi
Divi is a reasonably priced WordPress theme, particularly when you consider the additional products you get. It’s not that much more expensive than any of the other best-selling options, even those that don’t have any extras.
So, how far does Divi cost you at least?
If you want to buy Divi, you have two choices. One protects you for a year and offers you lifetime access to all Elegant Themes items, including future launches, support, and updates:
- $89 for a year’s access
- $249 for Lifetime Access
Though there are a few inconsistencies between this price and other goods (let’s say Avada at $60), you should be aware of them.
- Divi can be used on an unlimited number of websites (other WordPress themes require you to purchase a new license for each site)
- You have access to all of Elegant Themes’ items (including the Extra theme, Bloom and Monarch plugins)
- Any of the 160+ complete website templates can be included.
- You have unrestricted assistance.
- A 30-day money-back guarantee is available to you.
While you might buy the yearly access option and use Divi and the other items unsupported after the year is over, you’d be leaving yourself vulnerable to any possible security vulnerabilities that could occur but are later addressed in future updates.
You’d also be losing out on any new Divi features and enhancements, which happen on a regular basis.
If you think you’ll be using Divi for more than three years, it’s a good idea to buy the $249 lifetime access right away.
If that sounds like a lot of money for a product you haven’t used yet, Elegant Themes offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try Divi and the other Elegant Themes items risk-free.
Conclusion of the Divi Theme Analysis
Divi is a popular WordPress theme that can be used to create any kind of website.
If you’re looking for a theme that comes with a ready-to-use collection of templates, the Divi Layout Library is a good place to start.
Divi and its page creator, on the other hand, have all the features you’ll need to create a custom WordPress website from the ground up — all without having to touch any code.
Divi also meets your needs if you fall somewhere in the middle and want access to a huge library of editable models that you can customize and make your own.
Although Divi is simple to use, you will need to spend some time learning how to use the builder’s user interface if you want to get the most out of it. If you’re in a rush to get your new site up and running, however, the pre-built templates all look fantastic and can be installed easily.